My husband is on a rampage to get dozens of house projects done at once. Tonight when I came home he was outside painting the windows, taking a break from tearing up the laminate flooring in our pantry. Non-stop weeknight home repair calls for some comfort food so I decided to make Cuban beans and rice based off of a family recipe. (I’m not Cuban so cut me some slack on the authenticity.)
As most family recipes go, there are no exact measurements when it comes to this dish, but I tried to make approximations based on what I use. I also tend to buy the Goya brand for seasoning and beans. Here are the recipes:
2-3 garlic cloves
6-8 cilantro leaves, no stems (or you can use Goya Recaito Cilantro Cooking Base if you don’t have fresh cilantro)
Some green olives, drained
1 tsp. Sofrito
¼ tsp. Adobo seasoning
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans (partially drained)
1. Mash garlic cloves and cilantro leaves together with mortar and pestle to form a sort of paste.
2. Add oil to sauce pot and heat to medium. Add garlic mixture and fry about 2 minutes.
3. Add olives and sofrito. Then add Adobo and let fry another 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce and beans, stir and bring to boil.
5. Turn heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes being careful not to burn.
1 cup white rice
2-3 garlic cloves
6-8 cilantro leaves, no stems (or cilantro cooking base)
2 tsp. Sofrito
1 can pigeon peas, drained
1 pkg. Sazón seasoning
2 cups water
Some green olives, mostly drained
1. Mash garlic cloves, cilantro leaves in to paste in the same way as with the beans.
2. Add oil to another sauce pot and heat to medium.
3. Add garlic paste mixture, sofrito, sazón and stir fry about 3 minutes.
4. Add rice, pigeon peas, olives, and stir.
5. Add 2 cups water and bring to boil.
6. Stir, cover and turn heat to low.
7. Cook 20 minutes or until rice is done.
This dish isn’t the healthiest for you, and I’m sure the sodium content is out the roof, but damn it’s good. The recipe gets an ‘A’ based on taste and because my family is better than yours.
Tomorrow: Who knows??