I like cooking for family and friends, especially the more comfortable I get with my kitchen skills. The other night my mother-in-law came over to visit her grandson and stayed for dinner. I had already planned on making a sausage dish so I was excited to have one more taste-tester around.
1 pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. olive oil
14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 package chicken sausage
**We get our chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s
1. Sauté pepper and onions in the oil in a medium hot skillet, 5-10 minutes until browned.
2. Stir in drained tomatoes, reserving juice.
3. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside.
4. Brown sausage in skillet 5 minutes on each side. Add reserved tomato juice and 1 cup of water and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer a few minutes.
5. Discard liquid. Slice sausage into bite-sized pieces and top with tomato mixture to serve.
For the side I just sautéed some sliced zucchini in butter until tender and added a little Italian seasoning. We served this up with some red wine and a little house salad and everyone seemed to enjoy it – or at least I heard no complaints.
By the way, if you haven’t tried Cupcake Red Velvet wine, it’s surprisingly delicious – and pretty cheap, too!