Tortellini is a very guilty pleasure of mine. Pasta stuffed with cheese? Come on! I’ve made it a couple of times before with peas and tarragon, which is very good, but wanted to try a creamier sauce this time. I devised a plan that probably would’ve worked if I executed it correctly.
19 oz. package of cheese-stuffed tortellini
4 tsp. unsalted butter
1 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp. flour
2 cups milk
1 small bag of frozen peas
2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 cup or more of Parmesan
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
1. Cook tortellini according to package directions
2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook 1 minute.
3. Add flour and stir constantly for 30 seconds.
4. Slowly stir in milk, and then add peas and basil.
5. Cook over medium-high heat until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and add parmesan and salt and pepper.
I messed up this dish. Who forgets to add Parmesan? I do! As a result, the sauce was much soupier than I was hoping for, and didn’t stick to the pasta at all. I also served the pasta with some sautéed spinach, which I burned. All in all, it was an off night for me. But the tortellini still tastes good by itself, sauce or no sauce. Can’t win them all, right?
If you try this recipe yourself, remember the Parmesan!!